Friday, April 10, 2009

First Post

I learned of Mind Mapping in the mid 90's when I was a senior consultant on a ERP project. During my first meeting in the boardroom with the client, I happened to sit down next to the firm's VP in charge of the project. He turned his notepad sideways and drew a big circle and wrote the client's name and date in the circle. He then drew a branch from the circle and titled it Introduction. He continued to draw branches and sub-branches with key words on each branch and sub-branch.

After the meeting, I was amazed at the artistic notes that he had made and asked what was that he had done. He told me that he always mind maps his notes. Intrigued, I asked him to explain Mind Mapping. He told me to go to the library and check out Tony Buzan's book "The Mind Map Book". After work, I hurried to the library and checked out the book. I read the book cover-to-cover and then went out to buy the book. I was hooked.

I had always been interested in different ways of organizing thoughts and brainstroming (having been raised on outlining), my friend's dad had the program "Think Tank" and I was amazed at what outlining could do for your thought generation. But when I found Mind Mapping, this opened up my mind to be more right-brained. I grew up always thinking logically and did not develop my artistic ability. Now I was going to work on that side of my head.

Since that day, I have developed my own paper templates for mindmapping my meeting notes that feed into project lists then to action lists. I am getting ready to take this methodology commercial soon.

1 comment:

  1. Post-it notes were the first form of mind mapping I used to generate out of box ideas (when that was a new concept). How things have advanced! I break everything longer than one paragraph down with Mind Manager and export it into Word, Project, Visio and Outlook. It expands the linearity of traditional project planning into more realistic three dimensions. For those new to mind mapping, try using post-it notes on a board or the wall first. It can be as simple or as complex as you require.

    ReplyDelete